Condo living in Puerto Vallarta is a popular choice for many vacation home and retirement buyers because building maintenance is included in your monthly Homeowners Association fees, making exterior upkeep worry-free. But for those who own houses, there are some things that should be done to prepare your home for the upcoming summer season, and even condo owners can take a few preventative measures in the interior of their units for the hotter, more humid days ahead. Here are a few things you should be thinking about in April for your Vallarta home.
- Air conditioner and ceiling fan maintenance – Help keep your electricity bills lower and your home comfortable by making sure that your a/c units have been cleaned and serviced in preparation for more frequent use during the summer. And if you haven’t done so recently, climb up and dust off the blades of your ceiling fans. In even the cleanest homes, fan blades can collect a lot of dust which weighs them down and makes them less efficient.
- Check screens on doors and windows – While residents of Puerto Vallarta don’t need to be overly concerned about vector-borne illnesses, it is still wise to protect yourself from mosquitos and other insects entering your home. Do a full inspection of your screens for small tears or holes.
- Seal the roof – Putting sealant on the roof of your house will help protect from leaks during the rainy season months. There are several companies in the Puerto Vallarta region that provide this service and when choosing your vendor, be sure that they are willing to provide a guarantee, usually 3 to 5 years, on their work.
- Clean exterior drains – Make sure that drains on patios and terraces are free of debris so that rainwater from summer storms drains freely, preventing any flooding.
- Moisture absorbers – Home Depot and Costco both sell moisture absorbing powers in easy-to-use kits which are a great idea to tuck into closets to keep any extra humidity from damaging your fabrics.
Summer season is beautiful in Puerto Vallarta and generally, homes here are well-built to withstand all seasons, but to a little attention to your home, this April is the best way to ensure your comfort throughout the summer and to protect your real estate investment.
Warren Brander is an expert real estate agent with The Agency in Puerto Vallarta. If you are thinking about buying or selling an investment property in Puerto Vallarta or the Banderas Bay area, contact him at (322) 200-2253 or warren.brander@TheAgencyRE.com